“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” – William Arthur Ward
Teachers opt to enter the field of teaching not by accident but because they are passionate about touching lives and building a community of better people. As teaching is a lifelong art, learning becomes a process of life. Once a teacher, always a learner! With this philosophy, our teachers at Sancta Maria International School make an honest attempt of evolving themselves through various trainings as it helps them continuously improve their skills.
To support this growth mindset, we at Sancta Maria create professional development opportunities that promote learning through focused training programmes.
Following are 5 highly important attributes that Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE) recommends for its teachers:
Following are the training programmes that our teachers are highly encouraged to undertake, in order to build required competencies in the attributes mentioned above:
- Cambridge Training Programmes – CAIE drives various professional development courses for the Cambridge teachers wherein expert facilitators from Cambridge, UK, conduct focused training sessions.Teachers at Sancta Maria are nominated to attend these sessions. Teachers are also recommended to join these trainings on their own behest too, if not nominated so as to enhance trained teacher base for the institution. The objective behind such training sessions is to achieve international benchmark of excellence in teaching in terms of improved quality and outcome of the facilitation techniques.
- Knowledge Sharing– Teachers who attend Cambridge training programmes, come back and conduct a formal knowledge sharing session with their peersthrough presentations & interactive discussions.
- In-House Training Programmes –Various training programmes are arranged throughout the year by in-house experts on topics such as – how to prepare lesson plans following the Cambridge guidelines, differential learning/planning, how to identify such learners, IT trainings etc.The main focus of such in-house trainings is to continue to train our teachers on how to build strong working relationships with their students while honing their skills as professionals.
- On-the-job Training –Teachers at Sancta Maria are given complete freedom for designing their curriculum to suit their learners’ requirement. In order for them to achieve this, they are aided by in-house experts as well as they have access to the Cambridge teacher’s support website. This approach helps them achieve the desirable outcomes.
- Buddy Programme (Mentor-mentee programme) – With the help of this programme, the mentors help the new teachers immerse themselves gradually into the system. They make sure that the new teachers are acclimatized to the Sancta Maria culture, core philosophy, team building & collaboration, getting acquainted with the Cambridge curriculum etc. This helps mentees (new teachers) develop their skills and competencies, thus ensuring their seamless entry into the school environment.
- In Pursuit of Higher Education –At Sancta Maria, we encourage and actively support our teachers to opt for Post Graduate (PG) programmes, which in turn helps them to enrich their personal profile.
In summary, at Sancta Maria International School we believe in providing world class opportunities to our teaching staff. We further believe that by providing proper support & encouragement at opportune times to our teachers, it helps our ecosystem immensely,which in turn is reflected in our teachers commitments to provide our students with the best learning opportunities through proven teaching techniques.